Join the #MeatFreeMonday trend with this Vegan Chilli Recipe. It is both delicious and nutritious and is high in Vitamin B1.
For the chilli:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 can of diced tomatoes
2 large green chillies (optional)
½ can black beans, drained and rinsed
½ can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
½ cup water (plus more if needed)
2 tablespoons chilli powder
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 x 200g block extra-firm tofu
1 x 200g packet of soya mince
- For the Chilli: Add the olive oil to a large pot and heat over medium-high heat. Add in the onion and garlic and sauté until the onion is translucent and just begins to brown. Add in the tomatoes, beans, water, 1 chilli and all of the spices. Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer and continue to simmer for 30 minutes. If the chilli gets too thick, just splash in more water to reach desired consistency.
- For the Tofu: Cut the tofu into cubes and toast in dry pan until golden brown.
- For the Soya mince: Soak mince in water for a few minutes. Strain it and then add it to a pan with 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Fry until golden.
- When the chilli and tofu/soya are both prepared, stir in the tofu crumbles or soya mince and continue to cook them for another 5 minutes. This will allow the tofu/soya to absorb the sauce.
- Serve hot with a dollop of vegan sour cream and a sprinkle of chives and chopped chillies if desired.
- Serve hot.
Top Tip: This recipe is rich in vitamin B1, but to ensure your body absorbs as much of this vital nutrient as possible, don’t forget to take your daily dose of Bio-Strath! It has been clinically proven to increase the absorption of Vit. B1 by at least 10 times.