USED IN THIS RECIPE
Easy | Serves: 4
Join the #MeatFreeMonday trend with this Vegan Chilli Recipe. It is both delicious and nutritious and is high in Vitamin B1.
For the chilli:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 2 large green chillies (optional)
- ½ can black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup water (plus more if needed)
- 2 tablespoons chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 x 200g block extra-firm tofu
- 1 x 200g packet of soya mince
- For the Chilli: Add the olive oil to a large pot and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add in the onion and garlic and sauté until the onion is translucent and just begins to brown.
- Add in the tomatoes, beans, water, 1 chilli and all of the spices.
- Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer and continue to simmer for 30 minutes.
- If the chilli gets too thick, just splash in more water to reach desired consistency.
- For the Tofu: Cut the tofu into cubes and toast in dry pan until golden brown.
- For the Soya mince: Soak mince in water for a few minutes.
- Strain it and then add it to a pan with 1 teaspoon of olive oil.
- Fry until golden.
- When the chilli and tofu/soya are both prepared, stir in the tofu crumbles or soya mince and continue to cook them for another 5 minutes.
- This will allow the tofu/soya to absorb the sauce.
- Serve hot with a dollop of vegan sour cream and a sprinkle of chives and chopped chillies if desired.
- Serve hot.
Top Tip: This recipe is rich in vitamin B1, but to ensure your body absorbs as much of this vital nutrient as possible, don’t forget to take your daily dose of Bio-Strath! It has been clinically proven to increase the absorption of Vit. B1 by at least 10 times.